09 Nov

Australia – Working Holiday Makers able to work beyond 6 months

November 2015 - In a move to encourage Working Holiday (Subclass 417) Makers to undertake work in northern Australia, the government has announced that such visa holders will be able to apply to work for a single employer for up to 12 months, compared to the usual limit of six months.  This will take effect from 21 November.

According to a DIBP news release, further changes will follow in 2016 which will allow Work and Holiday (Subclass 462) visa holders to extend their stay in Australia by a further 12 months if they work for at least three months in agriculture or tourism in northern Australia.

Currently, Au Pairs are eligible to work for the full 12 month visa for one employer if they can demonstrate they have worked for a family with young children for 6 months. 

What are the relevant industries in northern Australia ?

Aged and Disability Care

The following work activities are eligible:

  • Aged Care Residential Services
  • Disabilities assistance services
  • Aged care assistance services
  • Aged or disabled carer


The following work activities are eligible:

  • plant and animal cultivation
    • the harvesting and/or packing of fruit and vegetable crops
    • pruning and trimming vines and trees
      Note: This must be the applicants primary employment task and directly associated with the cultivation and commercial sale of plant produce, such as fruit and nut crops (commercial horticultural activities). General garden maintenance is not eligible.
    • general maintenance crop work
    • cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    • immediate processing of plant products
    • maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    • immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery, packing and tanning
      Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible.
      manufacturing dairy produce from raw material.
  • fishing and pearling
    • conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    • conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.
  • tree farming and felling
    • planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    • felling trees in a plantation or forest
    • transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.


The following work activities are eligible:

  • residential building construction
  • non-residential building construction
  • heavy and civil engineering construction
  • land development and site preparation services
  • building structure services
  • building installation services
  • building completion services
  • other construction services.


The following work activities are eligible:

  • coal mining
  • oil and gas extraction
  • metal ore mining
  • construction material mining
  • non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
  • exploration.
  • mining support services

Tourism and Hospitality

The following work activities are eligible:

  • work in a range of positions where the primary purpose is to directly provide a service to tourists, including tourist guides and operators, outdoor adventure or activity instructors, tourist transport services
  • gallery or museum managers, curators or guides
  • hospitality workers, including a range of positions in hotels or other accommodation facilities, restaurants, cafes, bars and casinos
  • conference and event organisers


Where is northern Australia ?

Northern Australia is defined by postcodes, and includes all of the Northern Territory and those areas of Western Australia and Queensland above the Tropic of Capricorn.

Eligible areas and postcodes

Northern Territory = Entire Territory

(all areas north of the Tropic of Capricorn)

4699 to 4707
4709 to 4712
4720 to 4721
4723 to 4728
4732 to 4733
4737 to 4746
4750 to 4751
4753 to 4754
4756 to 4757
4798 to 4800
4804 to 4812
4814 to 4825
4828 to 4830
4849 to 4850
4854 to 4856
4858 to 4861
4868 to 4888
4890 to 4892

Western Australia
(all areas north of the Tropic of Capricorn)

6642, 6646, 6701, 6705, 6707
6710 to 6714
6720 to 6722
6725 to 6726
6728, 6740, 6743, 6751
6753 to 6754
6758, 6760, 6762, 6765, 6770


Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions on this new regulation. Visit www.visaexecutive.com or contact Amanda Tinner  - amanda.tinner@visaexecutive.com

Posted in General by Amanda Tinner

Leave a comment